Friday, September 14, 2012

Welcome Fall

Yes, I know, I have been MIA on my blog the past 2 months.  We had such a FUN summer and I managed to post a few of our projects but then life just got the best of me.  Sometimes it is nice to just be with the kids, create, play and have fun without worrying about documenting it.

School is back in swing, fall is in the air...AHHHHH, I just LOVE this time of year.  I am missing my big kids but happy to have some time with my littlest man.

Today we made a yarn pumpkin.  This was fun and easy to do.  It did prove challenging for his little hands but he only needed a little bit of help.  My big kids will be sure to whip one up in no time.

I found this tutorial on line for a yarn apple and we just did it as a pumpkin instead.  Click HERE for the link.

Wrapping yarn around the cardboard

Ready for the stem and vine

Slip the brown pipe cleaner under the top layer of wrapped yarn and secure TIGHTLY, twist into the shape you want for your stem.  Add the vine.  I slid it under the brown folded it in half, gave it one twist to secure and then wrapped the ends around a pencil to create the vine shape.
We missed a step when we made our first one.  Use another pipe cleaner (I used a matching color (red for apple, orange for pumpkin) and wrap around the BOTTOM side of the apple/pumpkin).  Twist it tight and hide the ends, cut off closely.  This keep the shape round and secure :-)

NOTE:  Using the second pipe cleaner to secure the bottom will result in a much tighter shape. If you like the loose messy look, skip this step.  

Our happy little yarn pumpkin. 

1 comment: