Monday, April 22, 2013

Home made water colors. So much fun

*I wrote this post around Easter time and just forgot to share it, oops* 

My kids and I love having fun with water color paints.  The ones you buy at the store have such small paint areas and always end up being a wet, mixed up mess of colors.  I stumbled across a tutorial for making our own water colors and we just had to try it.  The actually mixing and making of the paints was so easy.  The drying/waiting part was the "hard" part.  We had to wait about a day and a half for them to completely dry and be "set".  I think if you had a space heater or other warm area in your home, they could dry faster sitting near that.  I just had mine sitting on my kitchen counter.

Now that they dried we were anxious to use them, We had a busy Easter weekend so we had to wait till after the holiday to sit down and use them. 

First, here are our water colors after we mixed them.



Here they are after the dried


And...here they are being used.  They worked GREAT!  I did find they needed a little more water to get them started then the store bought water colors.  We didn't mind at all though.  

We used white crayon to reveal a secret message. A great way to play with water colors
Want to make your own watercolors?  You can find more detailed instructions HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment