Monday, June 10, 2013

Crocheted Mandala Wall art

My friend Amy over at Mama's Little Monkey's gave me this cute idea.  A simple crocheted mandala attached to an embroidery hoop.  Super cute, simple, crochet wall art!

I was lucky enough to have a 6 inch hoop just laying around...YAY ME!

I searched for a pattern that I like and ended up deciding on THIS one.  I just loved the spring time look of it.

I used WW yarn and a 4mm crochet hook.  I started with 10 groups for rnd 1 (instead of 12) and then followed the pattern as written.

When I got to rnd 8, I did a sc rnd before working rnd 9.  I just did a sc in each sc and 3 sc in each ch space.

Then I did rnd 9 as instructed but I used the FRONT loops ONLY for this rnd.  Remember to SKIP the sc that was originally between the ch spaces from rnd 8.

This left the back loops free so I could attach it to the inner loop.

To attach it to the inner loop, I used #3 cotton and a D hook.  I just went through the free back loops and crochet around the loop.  I pulled each stitch tight as I went.

Then just attached the outer loop and slide all the stitches so they are tight, straighten out the ruffle, hang and ENJOY!

This is how it looked after I did my sc round around the loop.  Yes, it is a little messy looking but this is easily fixed by sliding the stitches around so that the tops of the sc are towards the back.  This also helps to pull the mandala taught. 

Side view with the stitches pulled tight and the outer ring attached.

Hanging on my kitchen wall.  I love it and I may need to add some more to this wall! 

Close up view. 

Here are a few links to other mandala patterns you may enjoy or want to use for this fun project:

- http://crochethealingandraymond.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/ornamental-pot-holders/
- http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/2012/07/7-best-crochet-mandala-patterns/
- http://www.beingspiffy.com/blog/tea-rose-crochet-dishcloth-pattern.html
- http://winkieflash.nl/2012/11/12/free-pattern-mandala/

No comments:

Post a Comment